Walmart: Shopping Roulette
Posted: 2006-12-10. Categories: Florida, Wal-mart

I have been a loyal Wal-mart shopper for years. Recently I have changed my mind about shopping there. There has been a drastic change in customer service over the last couple of years.

The Wal-mart I shop at has hired many Hispanic workers. They can barely speak English and are not able to understand a direct question about merchandise or where to find certain items in their store. It is very frustrating.

They stand around in the isles speaking Spanish and ignoring the customers. Another irritating point is the substandard merchandise being offered to the public at Wal-mart. I used to buy shoes, purses, and clothing there, but no more. The clothing is just too poorly sewn to last any length of time. The “associates” are rude and prefer not to be bothered by the customers. Especially if they are stocking shelves with their isle blocking pallets.

One thing I have picked up on lately is how the cashiers package my purchased items. While I am busy with the debit card input, the cashier rings up my puchases and places the items in a plastic bag on the turning wheel. But she only turns the wheel once. The other items bought and paid for are in other plastic bags by the cashier.

She will not tell you that you have more plastic bags with the rest of your purchased items. I leave the store thinking she has placed all my items in the one bag. The other bags are near the cashier on the turning wheel. Of course that means a return trip to retrieve the rest of my purchases.

That has happened 3 different times. I wonder if they resell the items people do not return to claim? That would mean they are selling the same items twice. A nice little profit margin to say the least.

Last night was my last trip to Wal-mart. I will never shop there again.

Dee,
Tampa, Florida

7 Comments to "Walmart: Shopping Roulette"

1. Retail Bandit says:

Dear Dee,

I know exactly what you mean about those darned bag wheels they use. Normally my husband checks it before we leave the store, being sure to turn the wheel all the way around.

I did forget a bag there once and it took me over a week to realize I had left a bag at Wal-mart. Of course that was after I searched my house and car from top to bottom looking for the missing item(s).

I was so frustrated because I just certain I had brought everything home with me. I was ready for a fight at the store when I went back to get the “forgotten” items.

Fortunately, the store where I shop keeps records of everything left behind. I was a bit concerned on my first trip to reclaim my paper plates, because the customer service clerk claimed they weren’t on the list.

However, the next day when I realized I had also left behind a pair of pajama bottoms, which I had purchased for my son, the clerk did find them written down.

Be sure you complain to the management at your local Wal-mart or better still, complain to corporate headquarters. If they get enough people complaining they will enforce some police changes to help you make it home with all of your purchases.

My husband and I always shop together, we do this for a reason. He handles unloading the cart. My job is to watch as everything is rung up, to be sure they ring up correctly. He is then the one to load the cart and checks to be certain everything we purchased makes it out the door with us.

Try to develop a system for when you shop and never deviate from it. If you have a problem, try to always log a complaint with the store at that time. It’s all about documenting everything.

Happy Holidays and safe shopping wishes to all.

2. Karen says:

Today, at a brand new Wal-Mart in Clio, MI. I was charged $12.77 for a sweatshirt that was tagged $10.67.

I took it to the service counter and received my refund for $2.10. I then asked if the Michigan Scanning Law applied to this error and was told yes and that she would refund it in a separate transaction.

She then refunded to me another $2.10. My question is – shouldn’t my “reward” have been $5.00?

Karen

3. chatterboxchris says:

Wal-Mart Overcharging on Water

We always shop at our local Walmart store in town, since that is the only most reasonable place around.

My husband went shopping for us on 1-3-08, bought me, some Propel water for $3.88, 6 pk. I thought hm, the price may have gone up. Because we have always paid in the past $2.97, 6 pk. Well now on todays date I go back to buy more, 1-7-08, and well guess what? It is for $2.97, 6 pk. again.

On the date of 1-3-08, during the price hike when my husband was on his way out the door he was stopped at the door and asked to see his receipt for the propel water he just bought, and he said ok not a problem its in the bag, so he showed it to them.

So, please explain to me why all of a sudden Walmart sells Propel water for $ 2.97, forever? Then they change it to $3.88, then back to $2.97? Were we overcharged? And how do we go about getting our money back?

What if they try telling us, “oh it was just on sale”? When we know darn well it was not! We were not born yesterday. We consumers are tired of getting ripped off from retailers.

Oh, and another thing, we are tired of going into Walmart and having to put up with all the people inculding staff, standing around in the isles, doing nothing but chating, with their carts. Taking up all the room so no one eles is allowed to get around them to do their bussines.

And they act like they are invisable. Like we can’t see them, or they can’t see us. Because they are so darn rude they will not move over to one side at all. They act as though they own that Walmart isle. It is getting to be so terriable We do not even want to shop at Walmart anymore.

So, Walmart keep it up and you will loose another customer. Boy, I guess I will have to drive to Cadillac and go to Mijer’s to shop.

Hughes Of Houghton Lake, MI

4. Carrie says:

There have been a few occasions where I was triple charged for an item. For instance, I purchased one tube of Aquafresh Extreme Clean toothpaste, yet I was charged for three. That was an extra $5.88. I wonder how often this happens to consumers and it goes unnoticed. I have made it a habit to double check my receipts when I shop at Walmart. I am getting disgusted and I doubt I will shop there too much longer. I would rather pay a little extra at other retailers who are honest than to think I am getting a “good deal” when really they are tripling the price of one item.

5. Anonymous says:

Hi. I’m just glad I’m not the only one furious with this place.

I recently went to walmart on May 22 and bought $99.83 worth of things. They double charged 1 item but refunded it on the reciept. I thought “all is well again in the universe.” I get home and wait a few days, and then I check my bank account statement. The cashier had charged my card twice. So I had spent $99.83 x 2 on my statement. I have the reciept and printed out all my bank statements related to this. In a few minutes, I’m going to walmart and raising hell.

6. Anonymous says:

Wal-mart: No Customer Service

I went to my local Walmart tonight for the last time. I stood in line to check out for at least 30 min It was 9:30 pm, and there were only two lane open except for the fast check outs. When I got to the front of the line finally, I asked the cashier to please check the heavy items in my cart, there were four of them, out without me taking them out of my cart as I have had heart-by pass surgery and I have chest pains if I lift anything heavy.

I know they can do this because the have done it for me many times. She refused to do it.

I told her that I would not place the 24 pack of water on the checkout because I had barely been able to get it in my cart. She finally did check it out in the cart. By the time I got to my car I had to take a nitro glycerin pill because my chest and arm were hurting.

I have shopped at Walmart for years and spent a lot of money there, but from now on I will go to Kroger. They are not any higher priced and at least they are willing to help you. Just one more thing, the produce looked like it had been there for weeks. I did not buy any because it was so bad.

Maxine Holder
    Lexington, Kentucky

7. Anonymous says:

I agree frustrated with Walmart.
    Frustrated with those bag wheels also.
    But the big thing is Walmart overcharges I did not realize how many people have the same experience. Please watch the prices they charge and if wrong file with the local attorney general office.
    Thank you.